Sunday, August 12, 2007

For Those Who Question The Power of Advertising



Notice: I forgot I wrote this with the intention of adding more info to it. The story broke a couple of months ago and I am sure most you are familiar with it. Decided to go ahead a post this anyway.

I am sure most of you by now have seen this story, and I think what it says about our culture is amazing. The advertisers at McDonald's are doing their job well when preschoolers are able to recognize the brand. The same can be said other labels as well. A clinical child psychologist who has worked with children for nearly twenty years, Dr Allen Kanner makes this observation, 'Recent studies have also shown that by the time they are 36 months old, American children recognize an average of 100 brand logos,' (1). One hundred brands and most children are learning their ABC's and numbers, but they can recognize corporate labels. I propose we do away with the No Child Left Behind Program (which should be done away with anyway) and allow the advertising masters of these corporations to rewrite our education system. Obviously, they know what they are doing.

No comments: