Monday, March 02, 2009

I've Experienced This Plenty of Times

Hey kids, sorry I've been so busy as of late. I've been pulling 60 - 65 weeks between my two jobs. I've had lots to blog about but just not a lot of time. One little snippet of news that recently caught my attention was sent in one my daily Men's Health newsletters. I found this study to be quite interesting as that I have witnessed this many times in my life. Having been a waiter at a couple higher end restaurants and caterings you notice how people treat you and others quite quickly. This is also a problem I have when I date people as well.

Part of the reason I ask someone to a restaurant on a first date is exactly to watch how they interact with others, especially the wait staff. I believe that can say a lot about a person and their upbringing, as well as how they are to having their ideas challenged or just being open to new ideas. People that are interested in opinions, beliefs and cultures other than their own are generally more caring and sensitive to others and appreciative of what they have and what other people have to offer. People that easily disregard someone else's ideas, opinions or culture as beneath them or "wrong" often care little for others and have a sense of "entitlement." It is often the latter that get me worked up, and not in the good way. Anyway read this short news bit and I promise I will try harder to make more senseless postings....


READ ANYONE LIKE A BOOK
Wealthy people tend to appear more distracted than their less well-off counterparts

No one drives a Hummer to be inconspicuous. Yet intentions aside, the cars we drive, clothes we wear, and places we live all offer clues to our socioeconomic status.

But what about more subtle signs? A new study says it’s possible to tell a person’s class simply by glancing at his or her body language.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, studied videotapes of 50 conversations between pairs of strangers, and found that those with wealthy backgrounds fidget, yawn, doodle, and generally appear rude. But people who are less well-off make more of an effort to engage in conversation—nodding, laughing, looking directly at the other person, and raising their eyebrows when speaking.

It’s thought that those born into privilege feel less of a need to make a good impression when talking to others.

So seeing as you can say a lot without even opening your mouth, guarantee that you’ll stand out from the crowd and look (not act) like a million bucks—even on a tight budget...

No comments: