Thursday, March 20, 2008

Some Thoughts on Life

These past couple of weeks have been quite entertaining and satisfying for me. If anything they have re-affirmed the positive things that life has to offer. One thing I have tried to do over the years is stop being so co-dependent on others for my happiness. I was constantly being disappointed and hurt by others because I was basing what I thought of myself by how others treated me. Things like I was only good person if I was dating someone. Or I was smart based on whether someone asked my opinion in group meetings, and on and on. The list of little things we let negatively affect our lives can go on for miles.
These little things are often allowed to decide whether each day has been a good or bad day. Rather than see the day as a whole, we allow small actions or inactions by others to tell us who we are, what we are worth, and/ or how our lives are going. I am not saying that people or friends in our lives are not important, but we as individuals need to see ourselves in that way. How things affect us is how WE LET them affect us. It is hard to enjoy life when we let others live it for us.
It is hard for me to see those around me regard their self value and/or how well their life is going by whether or not they make others, who might not even view the situation in the same light, happy. Some of these people get so caught up whether or not their friends like or appreciate them they fail to realize that their so called friends are selfish people that rarely do take the time for things that do not benefit themselves. I know it is not easy to get away from this type of thinking. It has taken me years to get to the point where I am able to see myself for myself. Not how others define me or believe I should be. At least being aware of what you are doing will help you not define yourself through other people's eyes.

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

Charles R. Swindoll quotes (American Writer and Clergyman, b.1934)


“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Maria Robinson quotes


“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
Sparrowrose

Howard Thurman quotes (American Theologian, Clergyman and Activist. 1900-1981)


“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

No comments: