Monday, April 21, 2008

Thank you...

I found this piece from Margaret Cho's blog to be a nice short read for the beginning of the week as we try to tackle the world and leave the weekend behind us...

Follow Your Dreams

I'm having an amazing time on my Beautiful tour, with killer back to back shows this week in Portland and Phoenix, and I was thinking back on how all this got started.

When I was a kid, my family was one of the first on my block to have a VCR. It had wood on it and stuff! Remember when electronics would be encased in wood?! That was really weird. Like they were trying to disguise it as furniture. It was a huge machine, and would open up its big metal mouth so you could insert a tape. We rented movies at this cheap video store two blocks from my house, and my favorite movie to watch was Richard Pryor's "Live on the Sunset Strip." He was so amazingly funny to me, even though I didn't fully understand all the jokes because they were mostly about sex and drugs and I had yet to experience those things. The other film that completely changed my world was Eddie Murphy's "Delirous." As a standup, Eddie Murphy was my ultimate hero. I laughed at that show so much I almost got sick. The "Ice Cream" bit was my favorite. I wanted to be like him. I knew that I was going to be a standup comic. That was going to be my life, and I didn't care about anything else.

I think that we all have the potential to be anything we want to be, and I am living proof of that. I was just a kid, and yet I was able to make my dreams come true and I continue to do so every day. If you love something, I think you have to just do it. Don't worry about what people will say. Follow your dreams, because there is a reason why you have them. They are the path to your destiny.

No comments: